1/4 cup red lentils
1/4 cup whole green mung beans
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp oil
2 1/2 cups hot water
- Wash the quinoa and lentils in a fine sieve and soak in hot water for 30 mins. Then drain.
- Heat oil in a pot and sauté the cumin seeds until the cumin starts to sizzle and release its aroma.
- Now add the quinoa mixture (drained) and sauté for 2 mins.
- Add the 2 1/2 cups hot water and the turmeric powder.
- Season as required.
- Cook on medium heat with the lid slightly open. When the liquid reduces to the level of the mixture, turn the heat to low and finish cooking with the lid fully on.
- Stir gently occasionally to make sure the mixture is not sticking to the pot.
- When the all the liquid has been absorbed and the grains cooked, leave to rest for 5 mins before serving.